Wednesday 10 February 2010

Our Tragic Universe

This isn't really music related, but I'm so excited by this book that I just had to post about it on here.  It's called Our Tragic Universe and is by Scarlett Thomas who previously wrote one of my favorite books of the past few years, The End Of Mr. Y.  Here's the blurb from Amazon about the new book:

"If Kelsey Newman's theory about the end of time is true, we are all going to live forever. But for Meg - locked in a dead-end relationship and with a deadline long-gone for a book that she can't write - this thought fills her with dread. Meg is lost in a labyrinth of her own devising. But could there be an important connection between a wild beast living on Dartmoor, a ship in a bottle, the science of time, a knitting pattern for the shape of the universe and the Cottingley Fairies? Or is her life just one long chain of coincidences?"

Her last two books, PopCo and The End Of Mr. Y have left such an impression on me, with their big ideas that really get you thinking and wanting to re-read the books time and time again.  I really can't wait to read this new book (which I believe was originally called Death Of The Author, which may give some clue as to the outcome of the tale), which is out on May 6th and I know I won't be able to get my nose of of it as soon as I get hold of it.

2 comments:

Vicky Webb said...

:o i love the end of mr y. i bought it simply because it had black pages. found it in a second hand book shop, on the way back from uni... which was a bit weird, as you can imagine.

notice the way the book cover design suits your blog...?

...also i found out scarlett thomas taught a few of my friends at canterbury, creative writing of course.

Johnny said...

That is weird, must have been a bit odd when you read the book and saw the similarities.

The black pages combined with Douglas Coupland (another favorite author of mine) convinced me to buy the book when I stumbled upon it.

Pretty cool how the new cover design suits the blog too, sadly that did put a smile on my face when I first posted the blog ;-)

I'd love to attend one of her lectures at Canterbury Uni, but am guessing that you need to be a student there for that. Oh well. At least we have the new novel to look forward to :-)

blogspot visitor counter