Tuesday 6 March 2012

I Miss The Zoo



A few years ago when my Fiancée and I went to New York, we were lucky enough to see Joseph Arthur live at the amazing City Winery.  We'd seen Joseph play before with his band The Lonely Astronauts, but this was the first chance that we got to see him play solo.  He played old a new songs on the night, using his guitar, piano and many pedals and loops to create an awesome sound.  One highlight of the night was when he looped his guitar and a beat and then sang while painting on a fresh canvas at the back of the stage.  This painting was then up for sale right after the show!

Another highlight was a new song that he played that night, called 'I Miss The Zoo'.  The song was a bit of a new direction for a very adventurous Mr Arthur, mixing music and spoken word.  It sounded amazing on the night, but I wasn't sure how it would translate on record.  Thankfully I had nothing to worry about, as the song appeared on the free double album 'Redemption City', he released in February and it sounds great!  I think we've been spoilt this year with the free double album, hot on the heels of last years' brilliant 'The Graduation Ceremony'.  He's made a video for 'I Miss The Zoo', which you can watch here:

No comments:

blogspot visitor counter