Wednesday 27 January 2010

I And Love And You



It looks like I missed quite a lot of good music in 2009.  First it was the debut album by Lisa Hannigan, now lately I've been discovering the sounds of The Avett Brothers for the first time.

I can't stop listening to their new album, 'I And Love And You', an album that encompases so many different styles, but still retaining their signature sound.  They are descibed by the San Francisco Chronicle as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones", which certainly rings true for me.



The Avett Brothers are Scott and Seth Avett, who are joined by Bob Crawford on upright bass and  Joe Kwon on Cello.  The brothers play all other instreuments in the band, live and on record.  The 'I And Love And You' album was peoduced by the amazing Rick Rubin.

I first stumbled upon their music after a video of Seth Avett playing one of his solo songs, released under the guise of Darling or Timothy Seth Avett As Darling.  I HAD to hear more after seeing this video and from there stumbled across The Avett Brothers.  It looks like they have quite a back catalogue to get my teeth into, as well as the solo Darling stuff.  Good times indeed.

The video for 'About Love' by Darling seems to be unavailable at the moment, but here's 'Awaiting The Flood' instead.


No comments:

blogspot visitor counter