Monday 29 September 2008

Ships In A Bottle


Butch Walker, the singer-songwriter, producer and former member of the Marvelous3 lost everything in the Malibu wildfires in November 2007. "I lost everything I've ever owned. Every master of every song I've ever recorded, every piece of recording equipment, guitars, drums and things I've collected over the years, cars, motorcycles, every family memorial, heirloom, picture, and document we ever had.... Gone." he was quoted as saying at the time.

I can't imagine what it would be like to lose everything like that, my heart went out to him when I read the news. It's now been almost a year and Butch has picked himself up and got back to doing what he does best - music. His new album 'Sycamore Meadows' comes out in November and the single 'The Weight Of Her' has been released digitally on iTunes, but only for those lucky folks in America as it's not yet in the UK store.

But he has made a video for 'Ships In A Bottle' that gives us UKers a taste of the album. It was filmed in the remains of his house in Malibu before it was torn down. The song itself was written two weeks before the fire that savaged his house and features the lyrics "Just wanna walk away from the ashes, and take the fact that I've been burned", which really pull at the heart strings.


Butch Walker has also released a live album and DVD this year as well as a record from his other band, 1969. He also recently started his own blog.

No comments:

blogspot visitor counter